Unless you have been living under a rock, ChatGPT has been the talk of the town for months now. The public is amazed and scared at the same time. Since ChatGPT took the world by storm in November 2022, it has managed to scare writers and coders alike. Open AI’s large language models have been fine-tuned to produce incredible results. Chatting with ChatGPT is a unique experience in itself. You cannot help but wonder if the AI is sentient. A scary yet exciting thought.
For all its bells and whistles, ChaptGPT is a great tool to play with. It can do your homework just fine and answer all your quirky questions. This makes the program an excellent tool. But just like any other tool, this too is tuned to perform only one work to perfection. It cannot produce AI-generated images, refer to recent developments, and the server traffic is painstakingly huge. Which often leads to server overloading. These issues can motivate you to look for ChatGPT alternatives. Here we have listed 10 such alternatives which you can use to spread your creative and curious wings.
Why Go To ChatGPT Alternatives?
ChatGPT is by no means a perfect system and there are many reasons which might motivate you to look for ChatGPT alternatives. Here are a few which might have to lead you to look for an alternative:
- Outdated information: ChatGPT has been trained on a dataset which isn’t been updated since 2021. Hence the results the chatbot produces are severely outdated. This causes ChatGPT to produce incorrect prompts when asked about recent events.
- Cannot produce AI art: Its inability to produce digital art powered by AI. May make you feel that the system isn’t being used at its full potential.
- Server traffic: ChatGPT took the world by storm when it was made available to the public in November 2022. Since then the number of active users of the site hasn’t stopped increasing. This leads to server overloading and maintenance issues with such high volumes of traffic. And more often than none crashes the website.
- Expensive premium plan: Open AI has introduced a premium plan for the public. Priced at $20, this plan doesn’t have much to offer other than a priority link during server downtime.
Top 10 ChatGPT Alternatives To Use In 2023
AI has been the craze for about a decade now. Hundreds of billions of dollars have been invested in it by tech giants and angel investors alike. This has led to the creation of innumerable startups in the AI chatbot eco-space. Here are some of the most notable ones.
1. Google Bard
Google’s recently launched its AI-powered search engine chatbox. It is powered by Google’s LaMDA (Language Model For Dialogue Application. One key difference between Google Bard And ChatGPT is that Google Bard has access to the internet and its answers and prompts are referenced from all the resources available on the internet. This makes the Google Bard more sophisticated and accurate.
Bard is an experimental conversational AI service, powered by LaMDA. Built using our large language models and drawing on information from the web, it’s a launchpad for curiosity and can help simplify complex topics → https://t.co/fSp531xKy3 pic.twitter.com/JecHXVmt8l
— Google (@Google) February 6, 2023
However, the Google product, since its launch, has done more harm than good. A promotion video for the Bard platform featured a wrong answer. This led to the Google stock crash post its release. Wiping out millions of dollars worth of valuation from the market.
2. Microsoft Bing AI
Google isn’t the only big tech company which had invested in AI research and development. Microsoft has pledged billions of dollars as an investment to OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT. An upgraded version of ChatGPT itself powers the new Microsoft Bing. Except, this has access to the internet, and like Google Bard can refer from the internet to process prompts. Microsoft is calling this the ‘Prometheus Model’.
To access the AI chatbot, you have to open the chat section of the browser. You can then directly chat with the AI and use it as an alternative for the search engine and of course an alternative to ChatGPT.
This is another chatbot that is based on, yes you guessed it, ChatGPT. But to say that it is a clone of ChatGPT is more than an understatement. If anything, it is ChatGPT on STeroids. This chatbot comes laced with features that are not available on vanilla ChatGPT (If there is something like a vanilla ChatGPT).
Some of its features include:
- Voice chat: You can chat with the chatbot using your microphone and in plain English. this gives you the intelligence of ChatGPT with the accessibility of Siri or Google Assistant. You can even ask for the responses to be sent to you as a Word or PDF document.
- Personas: This Chatbot has 16 different personas. That’s right 16 different personas. You can choose to chat with any of them if you feel like speaking to someone else.
- Image Generation: Chatsonic also has an inbuilt image generator. You can generate images by giving in prompts. And the AI generator with give you back its interpretation. However, you can only generate 25 images per day if you are using the free version.
- The premium for immersive experience: You can access the unlimited AI image generation features and many more features if you buy their premium plan for $12.6 per month.
4. Jasper Chat
Based on the same GPT 3.5 model, same as ChatGPT. This AI chatbot has been optimized for content creation. Particularly, creative content such as marketing copy, and ass copies. The parent company, Jasper, has been in the content creation industry for a long time. And their chatbot surely has taken up the lead.
Jasper Chat’s claim to fame is its unique AI experience. Jasper claims they have optimized the chat feature to make the interaction seamless and as natural as possible. They aim to make sure that the user does not have to think of technicalities such as prompts and leads while chatting with the chatbot.
5. Character AI
As the name goes, the sales pitch of this chatbot involves characters. Character AI specializes in providing character models of AI modeled after, well anyone you like. The homepage hosts all their famous characters. Which includes, everyone from Socrates to Joe Biden. These AIs have been fed transcripts and contents left behind by said personalities. This helps the AI, sound and feel more like the person on whom they have been modeled after.
The chatbot isn’t just limited to the list of characters made by its developers. You can also make a new character, give it its name and choose any custom configuration of its voice and tone. It is a fun thing to play around with.
Based on an upgraded version of the GPT 3.5 model. This Chatbot is also a search engine as it has access to the internet. YouChat features seamless interaction and effective results for queries. It can also hold complex conversations with the user and is overall a seamless chatting experience.
Since the model is based on the same base as ChatGPT. YouChat can do everything ChatGPT can, but better since it has the access to the internet. It can write code, summarise texts and do many more things. Overall, it is a great tool for students.
7. OpenAI Playground
OpenAI playground is made by OpenAI, which is the same company that made ChatGPT. However, it is not a tool for daily passive users. Released as the demo model of ChatGPT, this can do everything that ChatGPT can. However, this demo model was exclusively made to test different language models and is used to do exactly that. One might even say that this is the ‘Linux’ of the chatbot industry.
The unique thing about this chatbot is that it has been trained on 188 million multiturn dialogues from Reddit. So predictably, it has a quirky tone to its response. And has the essence of Reddit in it. Its responses are decent at best. Especially since it has been geared to respond in one particular way, it gets confused easily.
9. Perplexity AI
Perplexity AI has been trained on the same ChatGPT API. And has many chat GPT-like features. However, one unique thing about this AI chatbot is that it cites the source of its answers after every question. In its way, it is more transparent and opens up opportunities for fact-checking. With decent responses and a multi-turn feature, it can remember and reference your previous prompts and refer to them to create a unique response.
This is probably the closest thing to the AI from the movie ‘Her’. Remember how Joaquin Phoenix fell in love with the AI operating system? This chatbot has been geared to do exactly that. it is trained on a GPT 3.5 autoregressive model. Which means it can change its prompts and tone depending on your input and references.
For example, if you mention that something sad happened to you in your life previously. Chances are the responses will become more empathetic. This is indeed an excellent companionship model chatbot. Whose validation comes from the millions of users using it daily worldwide.
AI chatbots are fun and exciting. And they perhaps sit on the crisp of another technological revolution. A revolution in which both ChatGPT and ChatGPT alternatives have a role to play. We must be grateful to have first-hand access to it.
- Is ChatGPT Down? Check Server Status And Outages - May 11, 2023
- Top 10 ChatGPT Alternatives in 2023 - May 8, 2023
- Top 10 ChatGPT Detectors for AI Content - May 5, 2023